Preperation time: 30 minutes
This loaf is dense and delicious.
1C red lentils
2C vegetable stock
2 stalks celery
1/4C salt reduced, sugar reduced tomato sauce. I use Watties.
2T yellow mustard powder
2T coconut balsamic dressing. I use Ceres.
2T nutritional yeast
1T dried mixed herbs
1C (packed down), rolled oats. I use Harraways Organic Wholegrain Oats.
1. Combine lentils with vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. When boiling, decrease heat to low and simmer until lentils are cooked and liquid has mainly evaporated, about 15 minutes.
3. Place oats in a food processor and pulse until the oats are finely cut. Put oats to one side.
4. Place onion, carrot and celery in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
5. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add tomato sauce, mustard, coconut balsamic dressing, nutritional yeast and mixed herbs. Mix all together.
6. Add lentils and oats to bowl and stir until everything is well combined.
7. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and pour mixure into the tin.
8. Using your hand, press the mixture firmly into the tin, ensuring it goes right to the corners.
9. Bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes or until firm.
10. Leave in the pan for 15 minutes before removing.
11. Leave to cool down before slicing into wedges and serving, around 30 minutes.
12. Serve with a tomato sauce and any vegetables that you like.